Planning a wedding can be very stressful. Having a wedding planning checklist can help with some of that stress. It's not easy to remember everything that needs to be done. Here is a checklist that can help you through the entire process. All you need to do is check off each task as it is completed.
1 Year Before the Wedding
- Announce your engagement.
- Decide on the type (informal, semi-formal or formal), theme and style of your wedding.
- Make a list of what is important in your wedding as this will help you with your budget.
- Sit down with everyone that will be helping to fund the wedding and discuss the budget.
- Make a wedding organizer binder. Keep all your contact info, vendor contracts, photos, etc. in the binder.
- If you are having a religious wedding, speak with your officiant about any special requirements
- Choose 2-3 dates for your wedding and start looking for venues. Some very popular venues could be booked as far out as 2 years.
- If you will be wanting a wedding planner, now is the time to start looking for and contracting with one.
9 - 11 Months Before the Wedding
- Start searching for and interviewing potential vendors such as the photographer, videographer, caterer, officiant, and florist.
- If you find a vendor you like and they are available for your date, book them immediately. Some can be booked far in advance.
- Get with all parents and start compiling the guest list. This will just be a preliminary list and will be edited to accommodate the budget at a later date.
- Finalize the theme, style and colors for your wedding.
- Select your wedding party. Be sure each is aware of their respective duties.
- Shop for and purchase your wedding rings.
- Check into all aspects of your honeymoon.
- Begin shopping for your wedding dress, veil, accessories and the bridesmaids dresses.
6 - 8 Months Before the Wedding
- Start choosing music for ceremony and reception.
- If you haven't already done so, finalize the purchase of your gown, veil and accessories.
- If you will be using a prenuptial agreement, now is the time to take care of it.
- Finalize the bridesmaids attire.
- If required, begin pre-marital counseling.
- Start shopping for invitations.
- Start your gift registry.
- Send Save-the-date cards.
4 - 5 Months Before the Wedding
- Finalize your floral arrangements
- Put wedding announcement into local papers.
- Order your wedding invitations and other stationary.
- Shop for the groom's and groomsmen's tuxedos.
- Book your wedding transportation
- Arrangement for accommodations for your out of town guests.
- Choose your wedding cake and grooms cake (if you will be having one).
- Make arrangements for the rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner.
- Choose your wedding favors.
- If you are not using a wedding planner, consider asking a good friend (not in the wedding party) to be your coordinator and personal assistant for your wedding day.
3 Months Before the Wedding
- Order the wedding cake and the groom's cake.
- Discuss the details of the ceremony with your wedding officiant.
- Finalize your guest list.
- Confirm your plans for the rehearsal dinner.
- Purchase your guest book, garter, toasting glasses and cake knife.
- Choose gifts for your wedding party, parents and any helpers.
- Have all tuxedos fitted.
- Confirm the arrangements for the honeymoon.
- If you are writing your own vows, now is the time to begin.
- Begin addressing the wedding invitations.
2 Months Before the Wedding
- Mail the wedding invitations.
- Schedule a trial run on your hair and makeup.
- Purchase or make the wedding favors.
- Apply for your marriage license.
- Schedule your first fitting.
- Send thank you notes for any gifts that have already arrived.
- If you will be using a program, begin putting it together.
- Finalize arrangements will all vendors.
- Complete all paperwork for a name change (if you will be doing so).
- Finalize your music choices and give them to the proper people.
- Have your formal wedding photograph taken.
- Finalize the ceremony details with your officiant.
- Reserve your room for your wedding night.
1 Month Before the Wedding
- Confirm the reservations for your honeymoon.
- Meet with your photographer and/or videographer for finalize any last minute details.
- Begin working on the seating chart for the reception.
- Final gown fitting.
- Complete and print your wedding vows.
- Confirm final payment amounts and arrangements for each vendor.
- Pick up marriage license.
2 Weeks Before the Wedding
- Finalize the seating chart.
- Confirm delivery location and time with your florist.
- Contact any guest that did not RSVP.
1 Week Before the Wedding
- Pick up your wedding gown, the bridesmaids dresses and all accessories.
- Give the caterer or your reception venue the final guest count.
- Men should get their final fitting for their tuxedos.
1 Day Before the Wedding
- Attend rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Give your bridal party their gifts.
- Have your manicure and pedicure.
- Put together tip envelopes for vendors and give to best man (or other designated person).
- Confirm transportation.
- Confirm hair and makeup appointments.
- Lay out anything you will need for the wedding day.
- Be sure everyone knows what time to be where.
- Get to bed early and try to get some sleep.
- Eat breakfast...even if you don't think you're hungry.
- Share some time with your fiance.
- Get hair and makeup done.
- Start dressing two hours prior to the time the ceremony is scheduled to begin.
- Take a moment to breath and look at yourself before walking down the aisle.
Tags: wedding checklist, wedding gown, bridesmaids gowns, wedding rings, wedding party, wedding cake, grooms cake, wedding invitations